Sunday, February 2, 2014

February MAGAM - Simplicity 2285 and a simple turtleneck - McCalls 6796

Well, February's MAGAM didn't take no time at all, and it looks pretty good.  I cut out and sewed it together on February 1st.

I made a black tie belt out of an old pair of black pants.  The fabric was still good, but the pants no longer fit.  I lined it with a brown poly lining, which was slick as can be.  I got through it, but I need more practice with slippery fabrics.   I cut a size 14, and didn't change anything, except I added a black button at the top with an black elastic loop.  I think it looks better that way.  It should be pretty warm, and should add a bit of snap to my normal conservative wardrobe.

And I just finished a simple turtleneck today using McCalls 6796.  I used this pattern before when making my January MAGAM.  The knit fabric is thin, so it was a bit tricky to sew.  I used the knit stitch on my machine, and things went pretty well.  I cut a 14, and the only thing I did on the sleeves was remove about 3/4" from the sleeve cap; otherwise, there was not way to insert the sleeve without there being puckers.  Other than that, it went together good.  I love this McCalls pattern, and will use it a lot.  The next time I make the turtleneck, I will double the neck collar width so, it can fold over like a true turtleneck.  This will go good w/ my brown wool skirt, and khaki pants.  I also have two cardigans that will go great w/ the top.  I want to make a short sleeve version of this pattern pretty soon.  I think I will use some white t-shirt knit fabric.  I need a decent white t-shirt for spring and summer.


Well, I have at least one more garment I want to sew in February, and that is a pair of Thurlow pants out of khaki twill fabric.  I should have enough of the fabric left over to make a khaki skirt.  I am sewing the pants as part of the Monthly Stitch Challenge.  I am still working out waistband issues on the Thurlows.  I think I am going to use the waistband from my favorite skirt pattern.  I believe it will work well.  I can make some adjustments if needed.  If I can get the pants made by mid-February, then I have one last winter top I want to make before I start in on my Spring/Summer outfits. 

I know I should model these items, but I am getting the same crud everyone in my office has gotten.  I was hoping I would get by this winter w/o getting sick, but w/ all the hacking and sneezing, I guess it was inevitable. :(

I am starting out as a busy bee on sewing, and hope I do not loose steam before the month is done :)

In other news, I would like to introduce you to Sir Loin - The Beef Cake.  He was born on 01/31/13 @ 3:30 a.m.  He is a sweet little man, and his momma is doing an excellent job taking care of her little guy.   Jerseys look like little deer when they are born.  It will be interesting to see what color he ends up being.  The sire is black, and I really hope he looks like his daddy.


Take care and God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Love your two tops.. Great job.. Look forward to seeing your new pants too.Wow..you are getting alot done..
    Such a pretty calf.. I thought it was a deer ,when I first glanced at the photo..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both your items! The turtleneck fabric is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new arrival is just so beautiful. I love jersey cows.

    I do hope you get better soon - I love what you have made this month - the leopard to is fantastic. Looking foward to seeing the Thurlows.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!